Wednesday, October 9, 2013

A First-Lesson Lesson Plan

My go-to first lessons typically involve introductions. It's a useful skill for just about everybody and it gives the teacher the opportunity to get a feel for the class from the very first day. 

With my professional students, we'll usually start with formal introductions and introducing a partner, practicing structures like, "this is so-and-so. He's responsible for..." using key verbs for business people. With my BTS students though, I wanted to do something differently.

With all of my BTS students, 1st and 2nd years alike, I have them write their name and stick it on their desk to help me learn their names. Every week they automatically get them out, and every week I learn a few more names! (I have about a hundred students...) 

Another classroom management tip is that I'll choose the first volunteer, and once they have given their answer (or whatever I have asked for), I'll let them choose who goes next. This way, it's as if they are "rewarded" for participating, and it motivates more students to volunteer from the get-go because they want to be able to "choose their destiny" in a sense -- they'd rather go first then randomly be picked during the mix. 

Here are my ideas for successful first lessons! 

For my 2nd year students:
A fun start: Two truths and a lie! 
I had each student write a short introduction (hi, my name is, I'm X years old, I live in...) and then end their introduction with two truths and a lie. Then, the class had to react -- "I think X is a lie." When the class finds the lie, the student sits down. This is a nice way to get to know some facts about the class. 

Just because it's the first day doesn't mean we can't get straight to work, so then we did a listening exercise taken from the BBC: Entrepreneurs: BBC English Express

Because the text is only a minute long, we could listen to it a number of times before discussing, and then listen again when nobody in the class could answer my general questions. 

I had each student take notes about the four speakers (one narrator and three people being interviewed). Their goal was to be able to summarize what each person said: what do they want to do, and why? 

Then, once everybody had the answers and an overall understanding of the text, I asked them to brainstorm and to write their own response to this question:

An investor agrees to give you 100k€ to start a business. What is your plan? (Think about the who/what/when/where/why/how). 

After 15-20 minutes of writing, I let the students present following the tip given above -- I chose the first one, and then after that they choose whoever they want to go next. For this exercise, I had them stand up in front of the class. Most students only spoke for about 30 seconds, but that is a great start! 

For my 1st year students:
I had them start pretty much the same way: introductions and two truths and a lie. Then, I had them play the game "find somebody who", where they had to ask the right question using "be" or "do" as an auxiliary. When they finished the exercise, we went over it as a class, correcting their sentence structure and learning things about each other. I also took advantage of this opportunity to ask the students (as a group) other questions: When is your birthday? Do you have any brothers or sisters? Where were you born? What other languages can you speak? 

Find someone in the class who:
 Has a birthday in December   ________________________________
Was born in the same month as you ___________________________
Likes pizza   ______________________________________________
Has a pet ________________________________________________
Was born outside this country   ______________________________
Likes listening to rock music   ________________________________
Wants to travel to Australia   _________________________________
Has a sister   _____________________________________________
Has no brothers or sisters ___________________________________
Doesn’t like tomatos   ______________________________________
Plays basketball   _________________________________________
Favorite color is green   ____________________________________
Loves English   ___________________________________________
Speaks another language ___________________________________



2 comments:

  1. I used to do the two truths and a lie with my students during the first lesson, and they loved it. I would make them write them down on the board, and then the classmates had to ask questions to try to find out the lie (but the student could also lie when answering). The students basically came up with a whole back story for the lie, and it got everyone speaking. At the end, I had them vote on what was the lie. And I found out some rather err... interesting things about my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great variation! I'll keep that in mind for next time :)

    ReplyDelete