Friday, December 14, 2012

Adults and Second Conditional


Getting back into the swing of my normal life after my stressful Monday afternoons is always nice. This morning I had a group of my professional students that started out as "true beginners" who are now well on their way to being pre-intermediate learners. Because we had already talked about the simple pastthe future, and modal verbs for giving advice/making suggestions, I thought it would be a good idea to head into the conditionals. We talked about the first conditional a few weeks ago and last week we started the second conditional by having the students ask each other what they would do in a variety of student-generated ridiculous situations.

To bring it back around to professional themes today, I created an exercise where they would have to use both first and second conditional structures for giving each other advice (and refusing advice) to deal with troublesome office situations.

Here are the scenarios I put together this morning. We only made it through discussing three of them before time was already up! They gave each other good advice and did a good job using the first conditional to reply with a "yes but if I do that, then...will happen" reply.

Without further ado, a professionals-oriented mash-up of 1st and 2nd conditional tenses for ESL learners in the Western world:

1)     My boss is blackmailing my colleague.  What would you do?
(But if I do that, then he will … )


      2)  I’m working with a client who is completely racist. What would you do?
(But if I do that, then he will …)

3) My client said he preferred to work with me “under the table”. What would you do?
(But if I do that, then he will …)

 4) Two co-workers are having an affair. His wife is a friend of mine. What would you do?
(But if I do that, then he will …)

 5) I suspect my deskmate is an alcoholic. What would you do?
(But if I do that, then he will …)

6)   I discovered bad business practices at my company. I should have a promotion next month. What would you do?
(But if I do that, then will …)

7) I haven’t had a raise (an increase in my salary) in three years but I have a lot of new responsibilities. What would you do?
(But if I do that, then…)

 8) My colleague is late to work every morning. He should have a promotion next month. Maybe if I tell my boss, I will have the promotion instead. What would you do?
(But if I do that, then …)

 9)  My manager and I don’t get along. I love my job and my team but it is very difficult to work with him. What would you do?
(But if I do that, then …)

 10) I think my colleague is secretly working for the competition. What would you do?
(But if I do that, then…) 

No comments:

Post a Comment